Looking for the experience of a lifetime?
You’ll find it at the S. Gale Denley Student Media Center at Ole Miss. We offer students extraordinary, multiple-platform media experience, in a state-of-the-art, fast-paced and fun environment.
Most of the jobs we offer are paid positions, and have flexible schedules. We provide real-world training for reporters, writers, editors, photographers, graphics artists, designers, videographers, anchors, DJs, directors, engineers and Web specialists, as well as hands-on experience for students interested in advertising, marketing and production. The emphasis is on doing AND learning.
All students are welcome at the SMC. We’re part of the School of Journalism and New Media, and many of our students here are journalism majors, but we encourage participation from other disciplines. Among our staff: Majors in business, biochemistry, electrical engineering, marketing communications and theater, just to name a few.
The SMC is home to:
- The Daily Mississippian, the only daily college newspaper in the state, and one of the largest in the country;
- theDMonline.com, which provides online news, information, opinion and multimedia coverage of the university and surrounding communities;
- Rebel Radio 92.1,one of only a few student-run, commercially licensed radio stations in the country;
- NewsWatch, a live half-hour television broadcast;
- The Ole Miss annual, a color yearbook with more than 400 pages.
Students determine content, programming and all matters relating to personnel. This privilege is tempered by the responsibility that goes along with working in a public forum. Journalism professors provide advice, ideas and constructive criticism.
When our students graduate, they find professional opportunities in magazines, television, newspapers, radio, advertising, public relations and new media. But even if you don’t pursue a media career, you’ll pick up valuable skills – how to gather information, write well, think critically, lead and manage – that can be used in any job.
Browse our website. Drop in at Bishop Hall to see one of the best college newsrooms in the country. Join us in what will surely be one of the most profound learning experiences of your life.
Director of Student Media